"Parcel" means goods entrusted to a railway administration for carriage by a passenger or a parcel train.
Where you can book your parcels:- Parcels can be booked from and for only those stations which are opened for parcel traffic. All major stations having facility of parcel traffic of this railway. You can book your parcels at Parcel office of station from 09:00 am to 05:00 pm.
How to book:-
a. Properly pack your parcel.
b. Mark from and to stations with your name and address.
c. Bring your parcel for booking at parcel office.
d. Fill the forwarding note available at parcel office.
e. Pay the charges and get receipt from railway staff.
How to take delivery:-
a. Produce Parcel Way Bill at parcel office.
b. Pay extra charges if due.
c. Check condition of your parcel.
d. Received your parcel.
Some rules regarding parcel:-
- All parcels must be securely packed in boxes, rates, trunks, strong baskets or strong gunny, etc., so as to withstand the strain of handling and transferring incidental to their transportation by rail.
- Parcels tendered for despatch must in all cases be fully, clearly and legibly addressed in English or Hindi showing the name of the consignor/consignee, his full address and station of destination and the railway. It is in the interest of the consignor to write his name and full address on each package so that the Station Master should be able to communicate with him in case of non-delivery.
- Parcels addressed to towns where there is more than one railway station or delivery office, should clearly show the place at which delivery is to be affected.
- Parcels are charged either by weight or by measurement, whichever charge is higher.
- All parcels should be weighed on the weighing machine in the presence of the sender or his authorized agent.
- A railway receipt shall be prima facie evidence of the weight and the number of packages stated therein.
- Unless the consignor declares the value of any consignment and pays percentage charge on excess value as required by Railways (Extents of Monetary Liability and Prescription of Percentage Charge) Rules, 1990, the maximum limit of amount of monetary liability of railway administration for loss, destruction, damage, deterioration and non-delivery of the consignment shall not exceed.
(a) Rs. 100 per Kg in respect of consignments booked as personal -baggage.
(b) Rs. 50 per Kg in respect of consignments other than animals and personal baggage.
- Mis-declaration of parcels is an offence and the persons making the mis-declaration as also the owner of goods, on conviction by a Magistrate are liable, in addition to payment of double the General Parcel Article rate, to a fine which may extend to Rs. 500 for every quintal or part of a quintal of the goods.