Consignments entrusted to railways for carriage by freight trains is called Goods. For transportation of heavy volumes of Goods in bulk, merchants, manufacturers, producers, suppliers, distributors and companies etc. can avail the freight services of Indian Railways.
- Normally freight trains are moved in standard size of block rakes (full rake) of different type of wagons.
- When full rake is loaded, Train-load rates are charged whereas if number of wagons loaded is less than standard size of rake, Wagon-load rates are charged which are slightly higher than Train-load rates.
- On an average 65 ton goods is loaded in a wagon and minimum volume of goods for loading standard size of rake is approx 2600 ton in case of bagged consignments to be carried in covered wagons and approximate 3800 tons in case of loose consignments to be carried in open wagons.
However, small volumes of goods can also be moved at Train Load rates under various transportation products offered by Indian Railways under dynamic pricing policy, like Two point rakes, Multi point rakes, mini rakes etc.
Preferential Traffic Order GO No. 86 has been come into force for one year with effect from 1st April 2013.
Booking of Goods:
- Goods can be booked from/to goods terminals notified for handling of particular commodity.
- Click here to find out destination freight terminal opened for handling of particular commodity.
- Approx Freight Charges (Basic Freight) can be estimated as under:
Click here to find out chargeable distance between booking terminal and destination terminal.
Click here to find out the class of commodity.
- Find out freight rate per ton for class of commodity: Click here
- Calculate basic freight charges by multiplying per ton freight rates and tonnage of consignment.
- Demand of wagons/rakes can be made by putting indents with Chief Goods Supervisor of concerned freight terminal.
- Forwarding note duly filled along with wagon registration fee to be submitted for placing indents.
- Obtain permission for stacking of goods in railway premises, if required.
- Wagons/rake will be supplied as per priority schedule subject to availability of stock.
- Loading of goods to be done as per permissible carrying capacity of particular type of wagon. Permissible carrying capacity of different type of wagons are notified.
- Suitable packing condition of goods to be ensured to avoid damage/deterioration etc.
- Overloading not to be done in any case. Punitive charges are levied in case wagons are detected overloaded.
- Loading should be completed within permissible free time allowed for that particular type of wagons/rake.
- Suitable arrangement for labours, machines & trucks etc. should be made well in advance to avoid detention of rake. As responsibility of loading of goods lies with the consignor.
- In case wagons/rake is detained for loading beyond permissible free time Demurrage & Penal demurrage charges are levied on per wagon per hour basis.
- Make payment of freight charges after loading of wagons /rake and obtain Railway Receipt from Chief Goods Supervisor.
- Freight can be paid by way of cash (up to Rs. 10,000/) and DD only, Cheques are not accepted for payment of freight.
- Regular Customers can avail the benefit of Electronic Payment System for payment of freight charges.
- Consignment once booked can be tracked online through web site or through SMS.
Unloading & Delivery of Goods:
·Status of consignment and running status of the rake can be tracked online or through SMS.
·Make suitable arrangement of labours, machines & trucks etc. for unloading & removal of goods well in advance. As responsibility of unloading lies with the consignee.
·Unloading should be done within prescribed free time for particular type of wagons/rake.
·In case unloading is not completed within prescribed free time, demurrage charges will be levied on per wagon per hour basis.
·Surrender Railway Receipt to Chief Goods Supervisor of the unloading terminal.
·Pay the charges due if any and complete formalities of delivery of goods before removal from railway premises.
·Remove consignment from Railway premises within stipulated free time. In case material is not removed within prescribed free time, wharfage charges are levied on per wagon per hour basis.
List of Goods Sheds of WCR (Full rake point & Half rake points)
List of Sidings on WCR
List of Terminals equipped with Terminal Management System of WCR
List of Weigh Bridges on WCR.